StarWars Universe Rp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those that create themselves into a universe in there words.

HoloNetHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the SWURP. We hope you all enjoy roleplaying here and have fun, all new comers are welcome and please ask us when you need help with anything. Very Happy
CorSec Announcement- Recently CorSec Removed several important members of the Solar defense agency by force, and violence, while details are still classified because of the sensitivity of the matter, Eye witnesses say it was Theta Squad and a small group of mercenarys. Theta squad has become the unofficial face of CorSec, while they are a special operations and Black Ops Unit, Courtney Loket CorSec Journalist
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 73 on Tue May 14, 2019 7:36 am
Latest topics
» HEY! LET'S RECONNECT!
Why RPs Die EmptyThu Apr 01, 2021 6:35 pm by Duvnar Magnum

» It's so cold and lonely here... :(
Why RPs Die EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 12:04 am by Duvnar Magnum

» The Quality of Living
Why RPs Die EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 pm by Duvnar Magnum

» Need Warm bodies
Why RPs Die EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:01 pm by Duvnar Magnum

» Ashes to Ashes we all fall down.....
Why RPs Die EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm by Ali Xen

» Not to be the Jew in the room, but...
Why RPs Die EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:38 pm by Caredetru Tykuper

» Have you ever?
Why RPs Die EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 pm by Duvnar Magnum

» I think it's time for a final chapter...
Why RPs Die EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:31 pm by Caredetru Tykuper

» NOSTALGIA TIEM
Why RPs Die EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 pm by Duvnar Magnum

Why RPs Die

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Duvnar Magnum
Site Staff
Site Staff
Duvnar Magnum

Character sheet
Name: Gwazi Magnum
Race: Human

Why RPs Die Empty
PostSubject: Why RPs Die   Why RPs Die EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 8:14 am

This is an interesting list from Contra Fates on the role playing guild which was made out of opinions of dozens of role players as to why RP's die. I think this list will serve well here to help us keep our RP's more active.

-----------------

1.) Too Much Effort Required.
This isn't meant to be an insult, it just means that the effort required to remain in the RP would outweigh the fun factor of being in it. Role playing is meant to be fun, not a chore. So, if an Advanced RP you joined suddenly has 5 pages in one day filled with posts, it can be a daunting task to read it all, and keep up. In other cases, the required post-length may also be too taxing on the player, and they'll lose interest as well.

2.) Lack of Interaction.
I believe this is actually one of the most important reasons. I've heard people talk about feeling left out of RPs, or feeling as though their character has nothing to do, because no other characters are interacting with their own. Keeping a team together and making sure all players are engaged is incredibly vital to keeping players interested. RPing is interactive, after all, and if we're not interacting...then we're just writing by ourselves.

3.) Change of Interests.
Let's face it, people's interests change. A fantasy RP might have sounded awesome at the time, but now you really just want to get into a futuristic cyberpunk RP. This really can't be helped, it just goes with the whims of the players.

4.) Too Little Time / Real Life Issues.
Unfortunately we can't always control life, and especially not with school, work, and other responsibilities that may keep us tied down. This ties in a bit with my first idea, because really...if you get left behind in an RP, and have to play catch up...it almost always ends up in a person dropping from the RP. It's just not fun reading through tons of posts, and figuring out how you're going to magically re-enter your character and explain why they haven't been around, or haven't been interacting.

5.) Not Motivated / Writer's Block.
Everyone has had days where they've been able to pump out post after post, and then they've had days where they have just stared at the monitor, typed a sentence, deleted it, typed another sentence, deleted that too...and got nothing done. Motivation is really something worth trying to figure out in and of itself, but I know how people feel when they say: "I'm just not feeling it," or "I've got writer's block," etc. You can't help it sometimes.

6.) Too Slow.
Some people lose interest in RPs just because it isn't going fast enough for them. Sometimes speed is necessary to keep people interested and 'in the moment.' When an RP starts feeling stale, people can lose interest in the RP entirely. Unfortunately, this is caused by the players, and sometimes it can be just one player's inactivity that can drag the rest of an RP down...especially if that player was a vital character to the plot.

7.) Rule-breakers.
You know who I'm referring to; the god-modders and power-players. But, this can also just refer to people who just don't...read other people's posts. I've seen players completely ignore posts that had characters interact with them, and have watched them do something entirely contradictory to the other person's post. It can be extremely frustrating when you have a good team of RPers, but one person who just ends up being a thorn in the side of everyone playing. This can also apply to the overly confident RPer who jumps into an Advanced RP with barely Casual-level skills. When a group of skilled RPers are forced into a group with one bad egg, it can spoil the whole thing.

8.) Inactive GM.
GMs have to be active in an RP in order for it to go far. Sure, there are a few exceptions to this rule, but an RP with an absentee GM is never a good recipe for success. Many great RPs die because the GM just vanished, or they suddenly became too busy to check on the RP and insure it was going the way it should. On that note, GMs should always have a vision in their mind for their RP, because giving players too much authority of the storyline can sometimes yield stagnant results as well.

9.) Everyone Wants to be a Star.
One common theme I've found in a lot, but not all RPs, are people who want to be the 'lead' characters of the storyline. Having players that strive to be noticed isn't a bad thing, but when the cast ends up being comprised of laconic bad asses, and people don't get their way, things can turn ugly. RPs need a balance of supporting roles, and leading roles, not a power struggle.

10.) Too Much Activity.
This is something that I think should be given some consideration. On an active forum, it can be quite the daunting task to keep up with RP threads, especially when they get buried so quickly below other threads. Unless everyone participating subscribes to the thread, it can be a bit time consuming just trying to find the proper threads. I think it'd be good practice for everyone to subscribe to all of their RP and RP OOC threads, but I know a lot of people don't.

11.) Can't Everyone Get Along?
Unfortunately, people butt heads, and it can be the quickest way for an RP to drop off the face of the internet. Striving to keep the peace and to promote some friendliness amongst players is definitely recommended, but I've seen cliques and certain friendships end up giving other 'outsider' players a hard time, which can inevitably end up in an outburst from the neglected party. Make everyone feel welcome, you're all interacting in a story together...just because your characters might hate one another doesn't mean the players should.

12.) Uhm...Line?
Sometimes giving players too much freedom can lead to a stagnant story. Not all players are prepared to be the brain stormers, and when it is your turn to post and you have absolutely no clue what you're supposed to do, it's likely that you're not going to be sticking around much longer. GMs should definitely provide some groundwork for their players, or be willing to provide some in the event that players seem unsure of what to do.

13.) High Expectations / Creative Differences.
In certain cases, a player may be hooked on a storyline because of how they envisioned it, but when push comes to shove, the RP just wasn't what they expected it to be. In some cases, this can also be when players have different visions when it comes to how a storyline should be played out. Sometimes players have very high standards when it comes to their role playing partners, and an RP can die quickly as a result. This is more likely to happen in the OnexOne section, but it's still prevalent in group RPs as well.

14.) Too Many RPs.
This is similar to 'too little time,' but deals directly with players who participate in too many RPs, and either become burned out, or feel too pressured to post in all of their RPs.
Back to top Go down
Corran Halacon
Admininstrator
Admininstrator
Corran Halacon

Character sheet
Name: No one
Race: unlisted

Why RPs Die Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why RPs Die   Why RPs Die EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 12:18 am

Personally Noticed the Iconic badasses and thought "Me? eh not really" I do prefer to travel in the shadow of Rhan...or Valis when she was alive...
Back to top Go down
http://www.linuxundergods.com
Duvnar Magnum
Site Staff
Site Staff
Duvnar Magnum

Character sheet

Why RPs Die Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why RPs Die   Why RPs Die EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 am

Only Rhan are Valis aren't here so you got no to follow do you?
Back to top Go down
Appan Parsu
Soldier
Soldier
Appan Parsu

Character sheet
Name: Appan Parsu
Race: Alderaanian

Why RPs Die Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why RPs Die   Why RPs Die EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Sorry I don't buy it Corran, you in the shadows of another! Smile

14) Sounds a little like me. Enjoy Rping so much I join several games that are slow, then suddenly, they seem to catch lite, and then I have a time trying to keep up with them.

As an example; Presently on WS I'm in three, on Comby in one, on MySpace in two, on Falleen Federation in two, here I'm in one. All Star Wars I might add, plus, just to chock up my free time even more I'm looking into building a free info site for Appan.

Correction; Finished...

http://appanparsu.yolasite.com/
Back to top Go down
Duvnar Magnum
Site Staff
Site Staff
Duvnar Magnum

Character sheet

Why RPs Die Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why RPs Die   Why RPs Die EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Cool site.

I suggest posting that link on your Character Sheet or Bio as well.

As for me I might be guilty of 14 once school starts but right now I've joined about a dozen or so RPs on the roleplay guild alone, half of which died and others slow so I still have plenty of free time and with no others being posted that interest me I get pretty bored at times.

Combine's Meeting Hall now bores me with it's admins going harder than ever and new players so eager to set up private games with more or less bland storylines. White Scenarios are cool but it seems more like a Job to keep up with them now, one without pay. SWURP I still like alot but I think it's activity has been hurt by people going back to school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why RPs Die Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why RPs Die   Why RPs Die Empty

Back to top Go down

Why RPs Die
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
StarWars Universe Rp :: Public posts :: Other things-
Jump to: